WEEK 16 Primary Research of The Work

This time the topic is a question of collection. In the primary research, I proceeded to a simple survey on this topic and a series of pre-shooting.

In this survey, I divided it into two categories. One is the work of artists and my understanding of them, and the reason why I choose them as the research object. The other is the history of my collection of artists I like.

— Artist Research With Feelings

After the shooting assignment in class, I researched this type of art work. How should I collect and use such objects to shoot a group of similar photos?

Classroom shooting works
  • Claude Monet/ RouenNotre-Dame

Combine this natural atmosphere with a creative imagination and turn every second of action into a unique painting. Through this series of paintings, we can feel the mood, temperature and atmosphere of Monet when he painted.

Because of the shooting of the work, I can easily think of the painter Monet. The most memorable is his series on the cathedral of Rouen. Duomo de Rouen is the first time that Monet has developed a series of work on the same object. When Monet painted the Rouen church, he observed the change of light in different time periods. The stone walls of the church refracted with the sunlight to produce different colors. Monet has long been exploring the expressive effect of light, color and air. He is highly sensitive to the changes of light. He often paints multiple pictures of the same object, expressing the instantaneous feeling from the pure light and color changes.

Oscar-Claude Monet
RouenNotre-Dame

Similarly, this style of work is also reflected in artists Suzanne Saroff and Megan Cooper.

• Suzanne Saroff

The beauty of the perspective, the perfect lighting, the creative imagination comes from New York photographer Suzanne.

Saroff’s group of photographs of abstract perspective photographer and art director Suzanne Saroff was born in Montana in 1993 and lives and works i new york. Her series, perspective, is an interesting study of everyday life that challenges the single identity of mundane objects by distorting vision. Using food, plants and transparent water-filled containers as props. She uses reflection and directional light to adjust the size. Shade and position of the containers to show infinite combinations and wonderful colors.

• Megan Cooper

“Chead” by Megan Cooper

Blood, lipstick, represents different stories. Having made a few puffs or used the fire excessively. Snuffed out, flattened or printed. Black ink, represents, the dead soul.

Suzanne Saroff
Megan Cooper

• J.C. Leyendecker

After conducting a series of surveys on artists, I did the same with my favorite illustrators. I collected and edited out his parallel advertising drawings and newspaper designs. Then I typeset them, followed by an introduction and a description of my feelings.

J.C. Leyendecker

Here I’ve put together a collection from Joe and his brother Frank, who started painting, to when he met his life partner.
I have listed and collected a lot of his and Frank’s painting collections. Through sorting out the magazines and periodicals they painted, we can find the similarities between them.

(left, center)He won the cover design competition of the century magazine, the best magazine in America at The Time
(right, top left corner)Joe, 1897, the inland printer, partial cover/ Joe’s cover for <Woman’s Home Companion>
(right, top right corner)These were prawn Frank for early collier magazine cover
(right, center)The joker series appeared on several magazine cover
(right, down)Joe’s first 9 covers for The Saturday Evening Post

Joe, a painter of the golden age of American illustration. He drew his illustration on the public in a fascinating way of life and the foundation of modern advertising illustration.

(left, top left corner)”A Victory” unforeseen illustrated /”A Song of Life” series for the ‘The Magazine”

— Display of Shooting Works

After doing all the research, I made a similar shooting according to the requirements of the assignment. I took a total of nearly 50 photos, but finally according to the requirements of the three groups of photos, I arranged and typeset the following photos of photography and post-shooting. After selecting the things to shoot, I shot them, and then I did some post-processing and draw according to the requirements.

one collection of physical objects
one collection recorded using photography
one collection recorded using drawing